b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:24:15 +0100

Hi David,

so you don't have any major disagreements with the method used by Rolf to determine his statistics or the values of the statistics he gathered?

James Christian

Quoting David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>:

Hi David,

it would seem that you have completely misunderstood my request. I
didn't ask you if you agree with Rolf's definition of perfect and
imperfect aspect. Rolf has provided statistics of the verb forms with
respect to temporal reference.

I was interested in you performing an analysis using the tools Rolf has
used to see if you come up with statistics that vary to any significant
degree. I consider 1 verb form to be an excessively small corpus and you
failed to show what linguistic tools you used to analyse the verb form.

James Christian

Hi James,

I personally see little point in doing this on this list where sincere
linguistic efforts are mocked and those with standard positions are
repeatedly mocked and asked to defend their position over and over.

Until there is agreement as to what constitutes semantics, I see little
point in progressing. If you want to read others in addition to Rolf
using similar principals, see the monographs of Rogland, Goldfajn, Hatav
and the dissertation of John Cook.

Regards,
David Kummerow.