b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:49:04 +0200

Dear Yitzhak,

Communication is not always easy, and either I have not expressed my points clearly enough, or you have misunderstood something.

The points I tried to convey were:

1. Verbs in real narratives must per definition have past reference (not past tense). David Crystal (2001) "Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics" has the following definition: "A narrative is seen as a recapitulation of past experience in which language is used to structure a sequence of (real of fictitious ) events". So Crystal agrees that narrative verbs have past reference.

2. There may be properties of the narrative sequence itself that can not be ascribed to the verbs. The consequence of this is that while a narrative verb has past reference, it need not have an intrinsic past tense. No one would for example say that the infinitive absolutes that are the narrative verbs in Phoenician have an intrinsic past tense. I would say that in BH it is basically the prefixed conjunction WAW to the prefix verbs that signal the past reference and not the verb form itself; "She did that, and she did that, and she did that.

Both points above accords with Comrie's views.