b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:39:39 +0200

Dear James,

I started my analysis of Classical Hebrew verbs in 1990, and I defended my dissertation in 2005. My data material consists of lists of each verb form, finite and infinite, with pre-past, past, present, present completed, future, future perfect and modal meaning, book for book and verse for verse in the HB, in the DSS and in Ben Sira. In addition, there are notes regarding which verb form precedes and follows the analyzed form, and also other information regarding particles etc. This is particularly so in the lists that were made after 1995. This material is not tagged, but a computer expert has told me that by using a modern program, it would be rather easy to convert the whole material into a tagged data base. But before that can be done, some work on the lists would be necessary.

I work with the verbal systems of the different Semitic languages when I teach them, but my focus for some years has not been on verbs, but rather on the analysis of Akkadian cuneiform tablets, particularly astronomical tablets that are used for chronological purposes. It is natural for me to try to walk on new ways and challenge accepted ideas. I have published two books on ancient chronology where I argue in favor of an expansion of the Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian chronology and of adjustments of the Persian (Achaemenid) chronology. Because of this other work, and because new tablets are continually being published, I have not taken the time to convert all the list into one tagged text. So I cannot supply you with the index you ask for.

However, in my dissertation, 2,106 Hebrew passages containing 4,261 verbs (1,402 WAYYIQTOLs, 887 YIQTOLs, 78 WEYIQTOLs, 769 QATALs, 315 WEQATALs, 280 Infinitives, and 530 participles) are discussed and analyzed. Here you will find all you need to make tests. And I think this will be a better place to conduct the test than on a computer, because my method is described in detail, and because there are arguments in connection with each example.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Hi Rolf,

would it be possible to provide a computerised index of the categorised verb forms so that we can apply your method and see if we agree with your analyses?

James Christian