b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 05:58:38 -0700

James:

There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:

One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind. So when he uses a
dialect as an argument to try to prove his point, it is the same kind
of argument as if he had used a cognate language, differing only in
degree. That he absolutely refuses to acknowledge that fact (his
example of “plod”) undermines his argument. That’s why I stopped
responding to him.

Another: (quoting you)
> Anyway, all this aside, if you really wish to attack Rolf's study I
> would suggest applying his method of analysis to any given text and
> seeing if you can find fault with the method. Your attack on
> uncancellability really isn't going anywhere.

Another reason it’s not going anywhere is because, as Rolf claims,
while it is an issue in his dissertation, it was not his central
thesis. According to his account on this list, his main study was to
analyze the different conjugations in relation to tense, and in that
he found that it did not fit. I.e. the conjugations in relation to
tense are cancelable.

Still another reason David’s argument isn’t going anywhere is because
he is applying concepts from Indo-European languages to Semitic
Biblical Hebrew. From my own history, I studied traditional Biblical
Hebrew at college, then started reading Tanakh. I quickly learned that
what I had been taught just didn’t fit. It was clear that tense didn’t
work, but after trying to make aspect fit, I gave up because it
doesn’t fit either. The Qatal and Yiqtol conjugations fit neither
tense nor aspect. So I read just for meaning, forget the minutiae of
grammar until it has time to sink in.

I don’t expect Rolf to try to prove the inperfective aspect, as just
because the tense use is disproved does not mean that aspect is then
proven. In logic he is trying to have Rolf defend a false dilemma,
which I don’t think Rolf is ready to do.