b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:26:34 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

On analogy with 'ayin one could presume that ghayin was emphatic, and so
glottal or laryngeal/pharyngeal, while a soft gimel would be velar. I have
read a couple of times the argument that the softening of bgdkpt did not
take place until after the loss of ghayin. The problem I see with that is
that it brings it into the time-frame of waw changing to vav, which should,
according to the theory, have prevented bet from softening. From memory,
all the forms of Hebrew we know of use/d a soft /G/ sound for the soft gimel
even the Yemenis who pronounce gimel as in Arabic. /g/ can tend towards
/(d)zh/, but /G/ tends to move towards /w/ or /y/ depending on whether it is
velar or palatal.

Kevin Riley