b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:08:37 -0700

Mark:
You have leapt feet first into a debate where speculation outweighs solid
evidence.

One thing that seems pretty certain is that the pronunciation of the ayin
was different from that of the alep during Biblical times.

Other people speculate that the ayin is a combination of two letters written
with one grapheme, one of which had a soft “g” sound. Right now that is the
majority belief of Hebrew scholars.

My 2¢—I suspect that the ayin originally was a hard glottal stop that was
either sometimes mistaken for a soft “g” sound, or in some dialectal
pronunciations may actually have had a soft “g” sound. Hence the LXX “Gaza”.

Karl W. Randolph.