b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:25:52 +1000

I've also wondered about the difference between ghayin and soft gimel, Jason.
I suspect that, at the very least, the difference was in which part of the
mouth/throat you constricted to pronounce them. Ghayin, being glottal,
requires the constriction of the epiglottis, while gimel is pronounced more
at the palate.

Alternatively, given the way some Arabic dialects pronounce /g/ like a French
/j/ sound, perhaps a soft gimel was a /j/? I think it's harder to argue that
case linguistically, but who knows?

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au