b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin: MWLDT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin: MWLDT
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:20:25 -0700

Jim:

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>

> Please pardon the typos in my prior post. I mean to compare )RC MWLDT at
> Genesis 11: 28 with )RC MWLDTK at Genesis 31: 13.
>

> At Genesis 11: 28, we are immediately given the city name “Ur” after )RC
> MWLDT. If MWLDT meant “birth”, it would not be “land” of birth, but rather
> the “place” of birth, namely the city of Ur.
>

> Where does it say that it was a single city? How do you know that Ur of the
Chaldeans was not an Early Bronze Age country with several cities?

One thing is certain, that the Chaldeans, moving from north to south, did
not reach Sumer and its capital Ur until many centuries after Abraham, even
by your reckoning. Therefore, even by your reckoning, Ur of the Sumerians
could not be where Abraham was from.

Thus at Genesis 31: 13, if MWLDTK meant “your birth”, then we would
expect )RC MWLDTK to mean “place” of your birth, not “country” of your
birth.

> The use of the word )RC rules that out.

> Jacob's siblings and half-siblings and their descendants (excluding Esau
> and his descendants), being Jacob's MWLDT, are living at various locales
> within Canaan.
>

> Where do you get these imaginary siblings and half siblings?

> Karl, let me close by quoting Prof. Mark G. Brett,
>
> You know I am impressed by nobody. But it does explain where you got what I
consider your crazy idea. There is n-o-t-h-i-n-g in Genesis to back up that
claim, or any of yours or his claims.