b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:49:42 +0800

Bill:

Lighter colored hair, even blue eyes, were known in the Mid-East from
ancient times. Both Esau and David were listed even in the Bible as red
heads.

I read many years ago, I don’t remember where, that ancient Israel was known
from ethnographic materials as having had more hair color variety than some
of its surrounding peoples. The speculation that I read considered that
there may have been rather extensive intermarriage with the Saracens, who
were known for their lightness of color.

Secondly, the age issue is valid for all peoples that I know of, even
Africans.

Therefore my objection is valid for ancient Israel.

I am considering a study on the word $XR to see exactly what its meaning may
have been, as far as the color issue is involved. At least some of its uses
has nothing to do with color, such as in Song of Song 1:5.

Karl W. Randolph.