b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:04:38 -0400

George,

It is not clear to me what you mean by "the same way".
The word LAYLAH, is from the root LL or LYL, which in my opinion connotes on-on, up-up, over-over. Related to it are the words LUL, 'ladder, staircase', of 2 Kings 6:8, and LULA)AH, 'loop, cleat', of Exodus 26:5. Also (ALIL of Psalms 12:7, (ALILAH of Deuteronomy 22:14, and (OLELAH of Isaiah 17:6.
It appears to me that LAYLAH describes the darkness lying in a thick layer, so to speak, over-over, (AL-(AL, the land, enveloping it entirely. Compare Isaiah 60:2 "darkness covers the earth".
I have not carefully followed this thread but I think it is quite obvious that $AXOR means dark or black. Obviously, being a color, it must be a kind of simile.
The root $XR is also related, methinks, to the root SKR, 'close, enclose, block, shut up, shut out', (see Genesis 8:2, Psalms 63:12 and Isaiah 19:4), intimating that the original meaning of $AXOR is possibly 'covered, hidden, denied light'.
I will have to think how $AXOR is related to CAXOR.

Isaac Fried, Boston University