b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:20:25 -0400

It appears to me so too, that HITPAEL is reserved for an act done by an actor upon himself, but then there is the example of TIT-RA)-U of Genesis 42:1, brought by Jason, and also WA-YI-TRA)-U PANIM, 'faced each other, looked one another in the face', of 2 Kings 14:11. Is, in light of this supposed nature of HITPAEL, the literal translation of WA-YI-TRA)-U, 'each showed his own face (to the other)'? Is there a case in the Hebrew bible where HITPAEL, in the singular, can be construed as a mutual (HADADI) action? Is HIT-XATEN such an example?
As I said, spoken Hebrew has HIT-XABEK, 'he was engaged in hugging someone who hugged him back', which is by now fully entrenched and even condoned.

Isaac Fried, Boston University