b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philippe Wajdenbaum" <pwajdenbaum AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:30:54 +0000

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your answer. I am glad we can discuss this issue. Among the three scenarios that you cite, the common ideas circulating around the Mediteranean and the Levant is the most used among modern scholars. The borrowing by the Greeks from the Jews was the idea of Clement and Eusebius.
The last scenario, borrowing by the Jews from the Greeks, is rarely defended, because two religions at least are at stake in this. Yet it is a possibility.

You are right to say that there are no sufficiant historical data to prove or to disprove anything. But there is one thing: the Greek authors, excepted Homer, are known through many sources and were real men. The evolution of the Greek thought can be traced through centuries. I took the example of Plato: first he wrote the Republic, an ideal city governed by some laws. This project was unachievable, he failed to create it in Sicily. Later, he created a new ideal city in his Laws, wich, as I wrote, is to be divided into twelve lots given to twelve tribes. Plato imagines many laws, some of them are exactly the same as in Torah, for instance the transmission of the lot, the laws on murder, and many more. The central point of this text is that he says the legislator should become a poet and tell myths to the people in order to make them obey the law willingly.

To me it seems like this text gives the project for the Torah. This idea is shocking, off course, but the reading of the Laws gives this strange feeling that Plato invented this during all his life, and that later one of his disciple tried to really give life to this ideal city and created biblical Israel. In order for people to obey the laws, he transformed many Greek myths into biblical stories, taking his inspiration from Homer, Euripides, Herodotos, and the others.

I cannot demonstrate it in a short message, but I think I do have the proofs chapter by chapter. If explaining them is considered proselytism, then I will not share them with the list. I don't want to push my ideas, just to express them: there is a difference. I would understand if it is not welcomed.

Nonetheless, if I am wrong about who copied who, there are still the facts: many laws and ideas are common to Plato's Laws and the Torah. So I don't understand why, among the hundreds of thousands of books commenting those texts, I cannot find one that compares them (except Eusebius)? Isn't it because it is a very embarassing point for scholars? And why is Platos' Laws the least published and the least studied of his works? Isn't it because it raises a question nobody is ready to answer?

Regards,

Philippe Wajdenbaum