b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:12:31 -0500

Dear Philippe,

I am new on this list, my name is Philippe Wajdenbaum; I have been following the discussions for about a week or so. As Daniel seems to be a subject; I think that Jewish authorities did not consider him as a prophet because he spoke about an embarassing period of time, wich is the time of the Hasmoneans. Either you believe in his abilty to predict future, either you admit the book was written after the facts. In the book of Daniel, in Hebrew, the orchestra of Nabuchodonosor is made of Greek instruments: psalterion, caitharis and sumphonia (Dn. 3:5).

HH: Greek words and culture were known during the Persian period. It is not necessary to draw any conclusions on that basis.

For this period is embarassing, the books of Maccabees were rejected -or never injected- in the Tanakh. Why would the hellenistic period be embarassing for Jewish authorities?

HH: My understanding is that the Apocrypha were not accepted into the canon for at least two other reasons:

1) Israel believed that the succession of the prophets stopped with Malachi

2) Israel only accepted Hebrew or Aramaic texts into the canon.

I think that early discussions from this board in the year 2000, have the answer. The whole Tanakh was written in the hellenistic period, I 'am afraid, like Thomas L. Thompson and Niels Peter Lemche claim it.
By the way, Sanhedrin comes from Greek Sunedrion, so if there ever was a Sanhedrin before that period, it must have had another name.

HH: The two men you mention have had a deadening disbelief that they want to pass on to others. Don't fall victim to a theory that would deny to Israel its ancient history and to Christians the historical foundations of their faith. Their schemes make the Old Testament a misrepresentation of reality. They are like the Holocaust deniers, only they take things a step farther. They take God's glory through history away from Israel.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard