b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philippe Wajdenbaum" <pwajdenbaum AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:26:42 +0000

Hello,

It seems like my last message was not transfered. Did I make a mistake?

Philippe Wajdenbaum

From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 10:11:03 -0700

Yonah:

You took this off line, I hope you do not mind my bringing it back online.

Your answer below is what I was taught in class, by my professor no
less. I never questioned him. You show up some discrepancies which
make me question what I was taught (another one, 2 Chron. 24 merely
states that Zacharia son of Jehoidah was murdered in the temple court,
Jesus' statement was between the altar and temple).

This brings up another question: did Jesus refer to a tradition
concerning the death of Zachariah son of Barakiah that was not
preserved in Tanakh, just as there was a tradition that Jeremiah was
sawn apart (referenced in Hebrews 11:37)? If that is the case, then
Jesus' statement is not a reference to the order of the books in
Tanakh, but to the chronological first to last of the prophets
mentioned in Tanakh who died because of their message.

Does anyone on this list know of any such tradition?

Karl W. Randolph.