b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:06:39 +0200

Peter,

Whether the man Daniel was or was not a "prophet" depends on your definition of the word. However it is clear, that the rabbis did not consider the book of Daniel to have prophetic status (just like they considered Jeremiah, author of Lamentations, to have been a prophet, but did not consider the book of Lamentations to be a work of prophecy). The early followers of Jesus, however, felt that Jesus fulfilled many of Daniel's "prophecies", and it was thus critical that the book be considered authoritative.

As far as Malachi, it was the "re-orderers" who placed the prophetic books last in the OT, making them lead directly into the New. As I wrote, this was not by chance.

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>