b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] shwa, shtayim and sharp taw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] shwa, shtayim and sharp taw
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:07:45 -0800 (PST)

The question was good, the explanation so far are tentative. A possible one
is that the dagesh compensated for an earlier "N" which became assimilated
with the "T".

It is also interesting to note that the Masoretes preserved strong
d'geshim where they heard them, and seemingly for no apparent reasons other
than oral transmission. The term for such d'geshim is " For the Glory of the
Reading" (l'tif'eret haq'ri'ah). Examples:

Battim Elleh Lammah Hemmah Shammah

No doubt, somebody or other explained the above.

Uri

Yahoo! Mail