b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:28:50 +0100

Some time ago Peter brought to our attention the linguistic research that
shows that lamed-he verbs are derivitive from older lamed-yodh/lamed-waw
verbs.
I studied this linguistic research years ago and cannot remember the exact
proofs but remember that they were built on solid grounds and so was
inclined to concede Peter's point in this regard.
Howerver, it has little bearing on the discussion as there is no extant
attestation of the name as YHWY or YHWW but only YHWH and so only helped to
demonstrate that the final 'he' has never been pronounced (according to
Peter).
However, I am interested to know how you would view the pronunciation of
IAO. Do you consider it as bisylabic or monosyllabic (as in ciao)?
How would you reconstruct what you hear with the hebrew alphabet?

As regards the schewa v's alpha discussion: There is also linguistic evidence,
which again I can't remember, that many alpha sounding vowels in ancient
hebrew
became a schewa sound through vowel reduction of unaccented syllables.
Rather like in English where we see words like 'ambulance', where the first
'a'
has an alpha sound and the second 'a' has a schewa sound. Both the English
alphabet and the ancient Greek alphabet do/did not have the ability to
represent
a schewa sound and so the aplha could equally represent an alpha sound or a
schewa sound just as Peter rightly explained.