b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:31:58 +0100

On 03/08/2005 14:15, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Besides your imagined hophal Yahwe, ...

This is not a hophal, but either a qal or a hiphil.

In a word where all four letters are special cases, any pronunciation could
be conjectured, but neither paal or hiphil could straightforwardly become
Yahwe; this requires considerable juggling.

No, by the standard rules of Hebrew conjugations, the hiphil "imperfect" of HWH would be yahwe, and the qal "imperfect" would be yahwe, yehwe or perhaps yihwe.

I already answered this. Iaoue is quite evidently Iao+h. ...

No. I will not repeat my proof that it is not.

You offered no proof, but simply attacked my non-existent assertion that he
became ue. I wrote, he became e, and u bridges Iao(u)e.

I offered as proof that in Greek OU, omicron-upsilon, is always a unit. Also, although I didn't mention it, the form Iao in Greek always ends with omega. Now I accept that IAOU might be a variant of IAW and IAOUE might be IAOU plus a final -e syllable represented in Hebrew by he. But that is not quite what Vadim has written.

IAOUE and IABE independently confirm one another

Only if you omit u, about which you argue in the previous example.
It is also doubtful that omega and beta record the same sound. ...

Of course not. IAOUE does not include omega, but it includes the omicron-upsilon digraph probably representing a "w" sound. Beta at this time represents a "v" sound. So this variation records the change in pronunciation of Hebrew vav from "w" to "v", a well known change.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)