b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:53:19 +0100

According to the paradigms offered at the back of Davidson's introductory
Hebrew
grammar, lamed-he verbs in the hiphil and hophal are bisyllabic with a final
'eh'
e.g. YaGLeH, YaaGLeH
But we also need to consider the pe-guttural. The example given in Davidson's
paradigms is:
Ya)aMiiD, Yaa)aMaD
Both have a vowel to facilitate the pronunciation of the guttural. I
personally find
it quite hard,but not impossible, to pronounce the 'he' in YaHWeH and when I
succeed
it becomes part of the second syllable rather than an end to the first
syllable.
Another factor we have to take into account is the the fact that HWH is an
ayin-waw
verb and so the standard 'a' vowel under the pe-guttural could well be
affected by
this. Alas, herein we reach data limitations because the verb example offered
by
Davidson has biliteral root and not a triliteral one but the exaples are as
follows.
YaaQiYM, YUQaM

It appears that the verb HWH is irregular on three counts and that we must
consider
more than the lamed-he aspect in order to make a reliable reconstruction. If
we take
into account only the lamed-he we get the form:

YaHWeH

which is admittedly popular in scholarly circles.
However, applying also the pe-guttural we get the form:

YaHaWeH

which seems to stand in opposition to the transliterations at our disposal.
Applying also the ayin-waw component it is not impossible that this factor
has an influence on the second vowel which would produce something like:

YaHuWeH
YaHoWeH

which seems to be in agreement with both the theophoric components and the
transliteration

IAOUAI

Any thoughts?

Love and Shalom