b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:03:14 +0300

Then it cannot be well-attested root hwh or hih. What is that ayn-ayn root
hwy/hww Peter suggests? I don't recall such root at all.

Peter's suggestion also have a problem with mappiq.

Vadim Cherny

> It's starting to look like the original tri-consanantal root was
HWY/HWW with a final H in the present form which serves only to lengthen
the final vowel, which we are still unsure of.