b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:29:10 +0100

Both the LXX and the Christian Greek scriptures are filled with them. Every
name
which has a 'he' midword in Hebrew has absolutely attempt at rendering such
in
the Greek. e.g. IHSOUS, IWANHN etc. The W represents an omega (long 'O') and
the
H represents Eta (various theories on how this was pronounced classical
Greek
view is similar to 'air' Koine Greek view is 'eh' as in they)