b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:06:58 -0500

Peter:

I mentioned that I could see the connection between “weighty” and “honor”,
but I had trouble seeing the connection with “liver”. Others have speculated
that the liver was the most important (weighty) of the entrails studied in
that ancient fortunetelling method, hence its name (a speculation that sounds
plausable), but without more convincing evidence, I hesitate.

In trying to avoid the etymological fallacy, one can go too far the other way
too. Particularly in ancient Hebrew, we deal with something within the
language, not cross language barriers as your example below.

Karl W. Randolph.