b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:12:57 -0500

Jack:

As Yigal mentioned, the root meaning of the word is “weighty”.

How liver fits in there, I don’t see the connection, only speculation. We
can’t rule out the possibility that it is a loan word that happened to have
the same consonants as weigty.

Even in English we have the concept that weight is related to importance and
honor, even glory, as in “Mr. XXX carries more weight in this organization
that Mr. YYY.” Similarly, I see the meaning of KBWD being “glory” as a result
of being “weighty”. Adjectively expressed either literally, or figuratively
as in “weighted down” as in his hearing is weighted down (just as a fat
person can’t run a race and win, so one whose hearing is weighted down is
slow, not sharp) hence dull, hard of hearing.

Look at the actions.

Karl W. Randolph.