b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:29:37 +0100

On Tue 7 Jun 2005 (14:12:57), kwrandolph AT email.com wrote:
> How liver fits in there, I don't see the connection, only speculation.
> We can't rule out the possibility that it is a loan word that happened
> to have the same consonants as weighty.

It may be that the liver is the heaviest of the various offals in the body,
so it is the "weighty organ". It was also considered to be of importance
in "reading the omens" in Hepatoscopy, "looking in the liver": as did the
king of Babylon in Ezekiel 21:26, where Ra'aH BaKKaBeD is seen as the
equivalent of consulting the teraphim and other occult practices. He did
this with some urgency LiQ:SaM-QaSeM; so it was a "weighty matter".

Life, of course, depends on the liver... ;-)

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF ZFC Hf