b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:11:54 +0100

On 07/06/2005 20:12, Karl Randolph wrote:

Jack:

As Yigal mentioned, the root meaning of the word is “weighty”.

I'm sorry, but this is the etymological fallacy. The words KABOD and KABED may (or may not) be derived from some word in the remote past which meant "weighty", but that does not imply that the meanings in biblical Hebrew have any relationship to the this ancient meaning of "weighty".

Karl, I can say that your argument is a nice one, but although the etymology of "nice" is from Latin "nescius" meaning "ignorant", I am not accusing you of being ignorant, because in modern English "nice" does not mean "ignorant".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)