b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:00:59 -0400

Hi Jack,

The basic meaning of KBD is "heavy". As such, it is used as "heavy with
wealth". I assume that the same word is used for "liver", because a liver
is "heavy with blood", although I'm not sure of the etymology.

KaBoD means "honor"/"glory" etc. This meaning is also probably related to
"heavy", but that's not important.

Both words are spelled with a qamats. The shewa indicated the construct -
"glory of..." or "liver of...". The holam can be written either with or
without a Vav (there are rules for that as well, but there are
irregularities).

And by the way, Vav is usually indicated by W, not V.

Yigal