b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:23:38 +0200

Peter Kirk wrote:
> I don't know what the ancient Hebrew convention might have been,
> but the modern (at least English) one is that each one of the
> authors of a joint composition identifies himself or herself with a
> first person reference and a name - exactly as here.

It is ambiguous. "Deborah and Barak sang" can mean that they
both sang the whole song together, that they composed the song
together, or that Deborah sang parts of it, and Barak other parts of
it. You would have harder time explaining "Uri Uri Deborah, Uri Uri
Dabbri Shir." Is Deborah speaking to herself here?

Yitzhak Sapir