b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:24:36 +0000

On 02/02/2005 16:12, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

As for the mentioned words in which you expressed interest:
Shablul - from bll (mix fluids) but also in Arabic (made wet) and
in Akkadian (sprayed). Various translations read it as snail, worm,
wax, etc, but all are valid for this etymology.

Sheqa(rurot - Gesenius in 1815 already read it as a Shafel from
q(r (bottom of pit), which has similar meanings in Syriac, Arabic,
and Sokort (sp?)

Soggin calls the above isolated words for which no conclusion
can be made regarding their character.

The easiest explanation of these words is that they are loans into Hebrew from Akkadian etc, i.e. from languages which had a Shafel form. So they are not evidence that Hebrew itself ever had a Shafel form.

Finally, we should mention Hishtah.awwah, which in Ugaritic is
a Shafel form, so there the connection with Shafel is much
clearer (And yet, the presence of the Hi- prefix suggests it is
used as a quadratic root $-h.-w-w in Hitapel form, I guess).

It is possible here than an original Shafel $XWW form in another Semitic language was borrowed into Hebrew and reinterpreted as a quadriliteral. This kind of reinterpretation of loan words as quadriliteral verbal roots is well attested at least in Arabic, I'm not sure about Hebrew but TRGM may be an example which has spread between Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)