b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:10:24 -0500

Ken:

Are all these nouns really possessing a sh- prefix? I can see is for the
$LHBT (flame) but is not $BLWL (snail) from the same root as $BL (train (of
gown)) referring to its trail of slime that follows it, and $Q(RWRT possibly
from the same root as $Q( to subside (or does it mean splotchy, with spots of
spreading fungus? (it is used only once))? In the latter two cases, is not
the sh- an integral part of the noun?

Karl W. Randolph.

Ps. on a previous thread, we discussed a possible switch to unicode: even
though this old computer has an older implementation of unicode so that it
imperfectly reads Hebrew points though the consonants come out fine, all the
examples in your message below came out as strings of question marks.