b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:42:08 +0000

On 03/02/2005 18:23, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

... Also, reading, "until I, Deborah, arose," is simply wrong. There is no way that you can equate Deborah with "I" when "I" is not a separate word
but implied in the verb.

Thank you for all of this. I would like to pick up on just this one point.

Is this in fact a case of a noun being used as the subject of a 1st person singular verb? Is this usage otherwise attested in Hebrew? It is in some other languages. Are you accepting this parsing of the verb, or does your "simply wrong" apply to this parsing?

If this is a case of a noun being used as the subject of a 1st person singular verb, then what can the meaning be other than a construction like "I, Deborah"? And of course this fits the context because Deborah is the speaker.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)