b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:49:49 +0000

On 31/12/2004 02:47, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: There is no problem with the verb meaning "be dispersed." It is a metonymy. ...

I agree that there is a metonymy or extended sense of the verb. The difference would be that a metonymy would be an occasional extension of the meaning, and an extended sense would be something regular. Well, I see three possible metonymies at work here: the one apparent in many of the following translations; the slightly different one proposed by Karl; and my suggested metonymy from "be dispersed" to "dry up". I wonder on what grounds, except for tradition, you can be so confident that your metonymy is the correct one.

... The springs signify the water that comes from the springs. The NIV has it correctly:

Should your springs overflow in the streets,

Correct, maybe, but not they don't necessarily recognise a metonymy. In BDB there are two different roots PWC, one glossed as "be dispersed, scattered", and the other as "flow, overflow", with this verse and Zec 1:17 given as examples. But then this is more likely an extended sense than a separate root.

The HCSB has:

Should your springs flow in the streets.

The same applies here. Presumably the question mark has been dropped.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)