b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:29:49 -0500

Harold:

It is precisely because I had difficulty with the traditional meaning that I
even considered a different reading. That is why I asked if there is a
grammatical reason not to read it as such, not what does tradition say. By
tradition, I include the Masoritic pointing.

There is no grammatical indication that this is a question.

The context indicates that a man should be looking at his wife only, not at
other women, which should “be dispersed from his eyes”. My reading keeps the
grammar as standard instead of changing to a grammatically non-standard
question and fits the context. Is there any grammatical point that I overlook?

Karl W. Randolph.