b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Schmuel <Schmuel AT escape.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:08:10 +0000

On 31/12/2004 04:23, Schmuel wrote:

Schmuel
Thanks, I didn't know we had Wycliffe online -- got it bookmarked. I thought he had only done a portion of Tanach, so I may have to check into that some.

Wycliffe and his followers did a whole Bible, in fact two versions I think. Wycliffe himself was not the main translator but it was issued on his authority.

Schmuel
Peter, I don't think you are remotely in sound statistics land :-)

We have only four possible ways of handling the question that you isolated.
Here are some of the most significant, and less related, English translations
I could find -
6 historical biggies, 2 literal, and 3 other more recent

1) Wonderful, Counsellor -- Mighty, God - Wycliffe 2) Wonderful Counsellor -- Mighty, God -
3) Wonderful, Cousellor -- Mighty God - ASV, KJB, Geneva, Douay, Youngs, WEB 4) Wonderful Counsellor -- Mighty God - NAS, Rotherdam, NIV, Tyndale, Matthew

Well, its pretty clear that the separation of Mighty and God is the singular
oddball anomaly,
(understandably), coming from Wycliffe.
Omitting such, we than have only two real possibilities, both frequently used. So seeing KJB and Douay match, (with the Geneva), should not be at all surprising,
is reasonably likely, and not even remotely "highly improbable" :-)

Well, the improbability is resolved from the data which you give, that the Geneva Bible before them inserted this first, and could be copied by both KJV and Douay-Rheims. But then the Geneva Bible which you quote is surely not the original unedited, as its spellings are certainly not 16th century ones, so I would want to check an original printing first, as you have for KJV.

Geneva -
http://www.genevabible.org/files/Geneva_Bible/Old_Testament/Isaiah.pdf
Tyndale - http://alleluya.com/ot/isaiah_9.html

But Tyndale never got as far as Isaiah, surely? It is clear from the bottom of http://alleluya.com/ot/index.html that this "Tyndale" text is in fact taken from Matthew's Bible, the same text which I quoted.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)