b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:04:52 +0200

> However, I believe that the ancients were very
> sensitive to this syntactical feature, and I suspect it is at least partly
> responsible for the likes of Rashi who interpreted Pro 5:16 as expressing
> the hope that one's disciples would increase.

In fact, ancient syntax was so strict as to introduce residual difference in
verb and noun accent.

But I don't see how that point justifies the translation "let." It seems to
me that the implied word is "when":

Drink water of your own cistern (adhere to your religion)
[when] your springs will be dispersed abroad
let them be only your own (don't share your wisdom with Gentiles)

Vadim Cherny