b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:25:05 -0800

On 12/30/04 9:14 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Was this comma really in the original version of the Vulgate, or was it
> added by a later editor? If so, how much later? After the KJV? It is not
> in the Vulgate text which I have, but then this has no punctuation which
> is probably an accurate reflection of what Jerome penned.

Peter,

The Stuttgart Vulgate has no punctuation, however E.J. Young (Isaiah NICOT,
p333) states:

*****begin quote*****
C. The Vulgate finds here six names: Admirabilis, Consiliarius,
Deus, Fortis, Pater futuri saeculi, Princeps pacis.
D. The common English versions give five names to the Child.
E. The Child is probably given four names, and that for the
following reasons:
1. The last two names consist each of two members, the first
of which in each instance is in the construct state followed by the
dependent genitive. The first two names also stand closely together, the
first in each instance being in the position of an appositional genitive.
2. The Masoretic accentuation supports the position that there
are four names.
3. If there are four names, a remarkable symmetry is obtained.
Each name thus consists of two members, and each half of the
verse of two names.
4. At this point note should be taken of the remark of Herntrich
that in each name one of the two words always describes the
earthly side and the other the "metaphysical" side of the governĀ¬
ment. In the first two names, the designation of deity is first,
whereas in the last two it is the second member of the name.

***end quote***

On Latin word order, Gildersleeve&Lodge #291 "When the attribute is
emphatic, it is commonly put before the substantive, otherwise in classical
Latin ordinarily after it. But see #676." #676 "An adjective usually
precedes, but often follows the word to which it belongs ..."

In light of all this why do we find in E.J. Young the following statement?
"The Vulgate finds here six names: Admirabilis, Consiliarius,Deus, Fortis,
Pater futuri saeculi, Princeps pacis ."

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew