b-hebrew - Toldot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Toldot
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:36:26 +0100

Peter, you make the comment below in your post that Toldot signifies the
beginning of
an accounting. Have you seen P.J. Wiseman's research (from his book "New
Discoveries in Babylonia about Genesis") in which he describes the Toldot
passages
as ENDS of accounts, where Toldot signifies a sort of a colophon, which were
commonly placed at the end of Akkadian and Sumerian documents? I have just
ordered the Huehnergard Akkadian Grammar and plan on beginning a forray into
Assyriology sometime in the next few months so that I can eventually make
informed
decisions about such matters. As it is, I don't read Akkadian and have only a
few
scattered texts in translation here at the house.

But since it seems like you have already looked into the Toldot issue, I was
wondering
what your thoughts on the matter are, or if you could point me in the
direction of some
easily attainable information on the subject. Why do you think they are
beginnings of
accounts? Whose accounts are they? I take it by what I have seen from you so
far
that you believe that the writing of the Torah in some way involves Moses.
Could it
have been that Moses was patching together older, Babylonian accounts? If you
are
more liberal, could it be that the JEPD crew was using older, Babylonian
accounts?
Or would it be more likely to you that Moses was just using Toldot as a sort
of chapter
heading phrase? Or on the liberal side of the house, what interest could the
JEPD
priests/scholars/politicians have in the phrase?

Jonathan Bailey
MA Kandidat
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg