b-hebrew - Re: Toldot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Toldot
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:17:22 -0700

> Peter, you make the comment below in your post that Toldot signifies the
> beginning of
> an accounting. Have you seen P.J. Wiseman's research (from his book "New
> Discoveries in Babylonia about Genesis") in which he describes the Toldot
> passages
> as ENDS of accounts, where Toldot signifies a sort of a colophon, which
> were
> commonly placed at the end of Akkadian and Sumerian documents?

I haven't read this particular book, but I did come across a book in
the early 80's, I couldn't tell you the author or the actual title
(something to do with "Ancient Records" or somthing like that), all I
remember is it was published by Nelson (big help...) that took the
same approach. If these books are correct, it makes the
"generations of the heavens and the earth" reference in Gen 2
much more sensible, as well as several others. Like you, I wonder
what Peter thinks of this idea since he's worked through all the