b-hebrew - Re: Toldot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Toldot
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:22:38 -0700

Lee,
> Dear Dave and Others,
> Wiseman's theory does not fit the Genesis material for several reasons.
> First of all, the Babylonian accounts did not use the word "toledoth."

What is the Akkadian word?

> Secondly, most of the occurrences of toledoth in Genesis are clearly
> headings. Thirdly, I believe that Wiseman has a vested interest. I seem to
> remember that he is attempting to prove that the Moses pieced together
> ancient sources from the second millennium BCE. (See also R. K. Harrison)

Wiseman may be the book I read in the 80's because it was taking
pretty much the same approach. I'm not exactly sure how this
constitutes a "vested interest," but I'll let that pass. As I recall, the
idea was the similarity between the toledoth accounts in Genesis
and some second-millennium Babylonian/Akkadian records, at
least as far as structure is concerned. My Akkadian is much more
rusty than I would like to admit, but I for one would be interested in
pursuing this discussion if the rest think it's appropriate for the list.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11

  • Toldot, Jonathan Bailey, 11/28/1999