b-hebrew - Re: new subscriber

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rodney K. Duke" <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: new subscriber
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:31:38 -0500

Dear Mr. Miles,

I agree with the others that your tone has been inappropriate. It is not
only offensive, but also a
poor witness of the faith you profess. Also, Ian quoted a couple of the
ancient witnesses below
and you failed to respond. However, I will take your request seriously and
attempt a response.

Arguments against the gap theory:

1) It is eisegesis. The text in Genesis 1:1-3 does not mention a gap. It
does not refer to Satan
and fallen angels. It does not say that the cosmos was created a second
time. The gap theory
starts with a THEORY and reads that theory into the text, a procedure which
is opposed to the
authority of scripture. (The fact that you cite Jer 4:23 in connect with Gen
1 leads me to wonder
if you started with commentary/notes from Schofield.)

2) The waw introducing verse 2 is not used to introduce independent
sequential clauses, so verse 2
is not a separate action in a sequence of 3 actions (i.e. NOT: God created
and God judged and God
said).

3) In terms of discourse analysis the construction of verse 2, an X-qatal, is
offline and often used
for scene setting, not for advancing the main narrative.

4) The argument in the gap theory that compares the use of tohu wabohu in Gen
1 to Jer 4 is based on
a non sequitur. Jer 4:23-26 shows a reversal of creation to chaos, a
dismantling of creation. But
it does not follow logically that the precreative state of " tohu wabohu" was
a result of judgment.
That is eisegesis.

5) Stylistically the structure of: a) summary introduction -vs 1, b)
circumstances before the main
action - vs 2, and c) beginning of main action - vs 3, is a good narrative
introduction of which
other examples can be observed at Gen 2:4-7 and 18:1-2. Moreover, many
biblical narratives,
sometimes not having a summary introduction, still start with a statement of
circumstances before
the main action (e.g. 3:1) as do the ancient Near Eastern cosmogonies to
which the Genesis account
might have been a polemic.

If you think that such arguments against the gap theory are somehow
"liberal," please see _Creation
and Chaos_ by Dr. Bruce K. Waltke (Western Conservative Baptist Seminary,
1974) who, at the time of
publication, was the director of the doctoral program and Chairman of the
Dept. of Semitics and OT
at Dallas Theological Seminary.

Rodney

--
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608