xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Re: Yet another crimson DTD bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Re: Yet another crimson DTD bug
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:54:56 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
There is yet another crimson DTD bug (not present in xerces-2.6.2).
The necessary files are attached below.
[hoschek /Users/hoschek/unix/devel/nux] fire-java nux.xom.tests.DTDBugTest test3.xhtml
done parsing
Exception in thread "main" nu.xom.IllegalDataException: Malformed internal DTD subset: Illegal type (starts with "p") for attribute "xml:space".

Without even looking at the test case, I think I can guess what's going on here. Crimson is making a common misreading of the 1st edition of the XML 1.0 spec which said:

A special attribute named xml:space may be attached to an element to signal an intention that in that element, white space should be preserved by applications. In valid documents, this attribute, like any other, must be declared if it is used. When declared, it must be given as an enumerated type whose only possible values are "default" and "preserve". For example:

<!ATTLIST poem xml:space (default|preserve) 'preserve'>

This was rewritten in later editions to make it clear that

<!ATTLIST poem xml:space (preserve) 'preserve'>

and

<!ATTLIST poem xml:space (default) 'default'>

were also legal.

I'm not sure whether or not I can work around this one, but let me see what I can do.