xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Does XOM support XPointer within XInclude

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel AT mac.com>, xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Does XOM support XPointer within XInclude
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:50:19 -0500

Andrew Thompson wrote:

There's really no way to specify any kind of wildcard or range is there?
Wow. This seriously limits what you can do with XInclude doesn't it? Is there anything on the horizon that has anything like the power of the xpointer() scheme? Are you fundamentally opposed to implementing some sort of xpath support for use with XInclude?

Not fundamentally opposed. However, doing so is quite tricky, so barring funding it's not going to happen tomorrow. (i.e. if someone wanted to pay me to add this, I could put it in. It's just not on the top of my TODO list.) The most likely scenario is implementing the xpath scheme rather than the xpointer scheme. At least the xpath scheme doesn't introduce two new node types to deal with.

For your immediate use, I'd suggest adding IDs to the elements you wish to include.