xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] At Long Last: XOM 1.0

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: dvholten AT computer.org
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] At Long Last: XOM 1.0
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:25:13 GMT

yo - good news. Thanks for the effort.

I really don't mind - but I'm sure it's not a random addition:
what's the background for that 'TM' ??

dvholten
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:11:25 -0500
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
To: dvholten AT computer.org
Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

dvholten AT computer.org wrote:

> yo - good news. Thanks for the effort.
>
> I really don't mind - but I'm sure it's not a random addition:
> what's the background for that 'TM' ??

The same as any other trademark: I use it. Plus I spent the few hundred
bucks to register the thing, and if no one objects too strenuously to
the trademark office, it may eventually turn into ®.

The primary purpose, as with most trademarks, is simply to protect the
brand. If someone wants to fork the code, they're free to do so under
the terms of the LGPL, but they have to call their product something
other than "XOM".

Plus having a registered trademark might be useful if anyone ever
decides to come after my domain name.