xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform constructors are flawed

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform constructors are flawed
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:14:01 -0400

At 1:04 PM -0400 9/4/04, John Cowan wrote:

I'm stunned that you do this. It would seem so straightforward to
use SAXConverter, souped up a bit to make it an XMLReader rather than
just a ContentHandler. (If you remember, I suggested a while back
that SAXConverter produce an XMLReader.)

It was a quick hack that worked well enough that nobody's noticed. I do need to fix it. However, it's not nearly as trivial to implement on top of SAXConverter as you might think. JDOM's had big problems doing this because of the underspecified nature of TrAX, and I'm still not sure their code actually works in all circumstances.

I've got a preliminary implementation of this idea, but right now it's throwing an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException somewhere deep in Xalan's internals. I'm not sure how easy this is going to be to fix.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)