xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Three cosmetic patches

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org, Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Three cosmetic patches
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:15:40 -0500

At 3:48 PM -0500 2/10/04, jcowan AT reutershealth.com wrote:

In addition, recursion is dangerous in Java in library routines that recurse
over user-supplied data, because the per-thread stack is of fixed size,
is typically set globally, and no recovery is possible if it overflows.

OK. Based on this I made that change. Code will be in CVS soon if it isn't already. However, my benchmarks were not able to measure any performance difference between the two cases. If there is one, it's below my resolution.

One thing I've noticed while measuring XOM is that any changes that don't affect parsing or serialization are pretty much irrelevant. The times required to walk even a medium sized tree while modifying it are somewhere below 1 millisecond. Possibly this would be measurable for large documents, but in that case it's more important to optimize for space rather than speed. Parsing and serialization are the only things worth optimizing for speed.

The flip side is that if anyone has suggestions for saving time during parsing and serialization, send them in. Even a 1 or 2% improvement should be measurable.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)