xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM deployment licensing issues

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Rogers Cadenhead <rogers AT cadenhead.org>
  • Cc: XOM-Interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM deployment licensing issues
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:06:31 -0400

Rogers Cadenhead scripsit:

> Since it's a GPL project, I figure there isn't much chance I violated
> XOM's LGPL. I am curious, though, what my other options were. Can I
> use XOM's JAR file without modification in a commercial project?

Certainly, provided you package the project in such a way that a user can
replace the version of XOM you give him with some other version, it being
understood that compatibility is the user's problem, not yours.

Java is an ideal language for this purpose, because required third-party
libraries are typically delivered as separate JARs rather than as part of
an opaque block of executable code.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.

--
HB)Bíggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers John Cowan
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes; http://www.ccil.org/~cowan