xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Kevin Herrboldt <kevin AT puppethead.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:47:51 -0500

Crimson seems to work fine with XOM when using validation, but if I try to use Crimson without validation I get the following error (Mac OS X, Java 1.4.1):

Exception in thread "main" nu.xom.XMLException: org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl does not support the entity resolution features XOM requires.
at nu.xom.Builder.<init>(Builder.java:256)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXNotSupportedException: Feature: http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities
at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.setFeature(XMLReaderImpl.java:21 1)
at nu.xom.Builder.setupParser(Builder.java:169)
at nu.xom.Builder.<init>(Builder.java:248)

I've looked at the nu.xom.Builder code and see there's already some Crimson-specific code in there. Is this problem a Crimson deficiency or is there some work-around that could be implemented? It seems a shame if XOM can't work "out of the box" with the default XML parser (assuming it's not broken). Otherwise curse Sun for bundling Crimson with Java in such a way that it can't be upgraded.