xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.setValue doc bug, possible bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu (Elliotte Rusty Harold)
  • Cc: jcowan AT reutershealth.com (John Cowan), xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.setValue doc bug, possible bug
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 06:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> really? XML allows the byte order mark to show up in the middle of a
> text node or attribute value? I thought it was only legal at the
> beginning of the document, before the XML declaration. Looking at
> production 2 of the XML spec, you do seem to be correct. Damn, that's
> weird.

The BOM has a second function: zero-width non-breaking space. It allows
you to visually join two words so that they cannot be split by hyphenation
or linebreak, but still count as two words for other processes.

As of Unicode 3.2, this function is subsumed by a new WORD JOINER character,
but the ability to use \ufeff in various places needs to be kept for
backward compatibility.

--
There is / One art John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
No more / No less http://www.reutershealth.com