xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.setValue doc bug, possible bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.setValue doc bug, possible bug
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:54:13 -0400

At 11:23 PM -0400 9/19/02, John Cowan wrote:

BTW, the published JavaDoc of Text.setValue claims that the byte order
mark is illegal; it's legal. The BOM is \uFEFF; what is illegal is
\uFFFE. I'm not sure if this is just a doc bug or not.

really? XML allows the byte order mark to show up in the middle of a text node or attribute value? I thought it was only legal at the beginning of the document, before the XML declaration. Looking at production 2 of the XML spec, you do seem to be correct. Damn, that's weird.

I'll have to check this out, but the code is likely to be correct because it's based on the productions in the XML spec themselves. OK, I just looked and it seems correct. I'll just fix the JavaDoc and we should be hunky-dory. :-)

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |