xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] toXML() instead of getStringForm()?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: laurent.bihanic AT atosorigin.com (Laurent Bihanic)
  • Cc: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu (Elliotte Rusty Harold), xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] toXML() instead of getStringForm()?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:52:01 -0400 (EDT)

Laurent Bihanic scripsit:

> Just to nag: Why not toXMLString() (toXmlString()) to clearly mark that the
> output is not an XML document.

Au contraire: the output *is* an XML document, because an XML document
is a textual object. XOM is not XML.

> Or even better: toString(), unless you see a good reason to keep the
> existing
> "[<class>: ...]". Debugging?

That is the contract of toString, like Smalltalk printString which is its
ancestor: print a convenient human-readable representation.

--
John Cowan jcowan AT reutershealth.com www.ccil.org/~cowan
www.reutershealth.com