wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 20:40:04 -0400

Hi everyone!  I'm Anne, and I'll be here for the next 50 or so Fridays telling you what's going on with programming at WXYC.  Glad to be here.  Also glad to announce that we just hired 14 new piping hot DJs to keep the station alive in the wee hours of the night this sweltering summer.  Can't wait.  Otherwise, here's what's cookin' this week at WXYC:
Your suffering ends tonight at 9 PM with The Inside Track here on WXYC.  This week, tune in to catch the brand new release from Chicago-resident Ryley Walker All Kinds of You out on Tompkins Square.  After swallowing endless comparisons to Bert Jansch, the 24 year-old Walker hits us with a remarkably solid full-length release.  With lush arrangements, sharp production and just smart song-writing, this new LP is the pleasurable folk-rock album we’ve been asking for at the start of summer.  Check it out!
Tonight at 10pm Tune in to WXYC's beat-oriented specialty show the NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE to hear highlights from last week's killer SAVAGE WEEKEND music fest. You'll hear clips from Profligate, VVAQRT, Mincemeat or Tenspeed, Unicorn Hard-On, and moooooreee!!!!!!!!!!
This Sunday afternoon at 1pm on HOHW the music of Uncle Dave Macon will be explored. Born in 1870 in Smartt Station, TN, the "Dixie Dewdrop" was an old-time banjo player, singer, songwriter, and comic. Being the first star of the Grand Ole Opry, Macon helped to blur and blend the lines of vaudeville performance and American folk music.
Tune in to Broken Music this Sunday at 2pm as we explore the interesting catalog of Italian-born but Berlin-residing electronic experimenter Claudio Rocchetti. Known best as one third of the improvisational rock trio 3/4HadBeenEliminated, Rocchetti has been recording solo material since 2003, including a recent set of manipulated field recordings from China and a collage made up of layers of dozens of noise cassettes. Lock in at 2pm to hear a smattering of these and much more
You ever heard of a game?  What about court?  Did you watch Spiderman 2 in a theater with stadium seating?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, tune in for Sports Rap on Sunday at 9pm and let it speak to your inner athlete.  Make sure to stretch beforehand.
Doom, darkness and death this Monday on The Outside Track.  Tune in at 9 PM for the new one from White Suns entitled Totem.  This noise-rock band from New York City traffic in pure destruction.  This record is a pure doomsday audio assault, seemingly without structure, but certainly intended to disturb the peace.  Heavy feedback and a destroyed drum-kit.  You might not be able to deny the pleasure in this pain however, as it’s abundantly clear that these rockers have made much more than loud sounds. Tune in and find out!